Apodytes Dimidiata Scratch Awl

28/10/2013 – During this past weekend I decided to take a wee break from my extended plane-building-activities. I wanted to do something else on a weekend where there would be plenty of interruptions, with a 5 year old’s birthday party, the October Fest and several other social commitments. The Witpeer (Apodytes dimidiata) board below has spent about 3 months acclimatizing to the shop so I thought it could do the job for all the file handles I want to turn. While preparing the stock for these handles, I decided to also turn a scratch awl.

IMG_8433

The board was a bit wavy so I first chopped it into shorter chunks as shown. Then I used the bandsaw to rip these pieces ideal for file handle turning and a scratch awl.

IMG_8434IMG_8435IMG_8436IMG_8437

 

The thin strips pictured, were cut from the off-cuts on the bandsaw intended to be used as spatulas while glueing (other projects).

IMG_8439IMG_8438IMG_8440

This was all that was left of the board, and soon to become “fynhoutjies” to start a fire.

IMG_8442

Before turning the handles and awl, I changed my lathes around. The grey one has developed a slight wobble so it is now earmarked to become a disc sander.

IMG_8443IMG_8444

I used this beautiful shop made Jack plane to find a piece of stock with very straight grain by planing the various surfaces to see what is going on.

IMG_8451IMG_8452

 

The Awl being turned.

IMG_8453IMG_8455IMG_8456

For the ferrule I used part of a 7 mm Remington Magnum brass case. You can see how I proceeded to shape it.

IMG_7254IMG_7255IMG_7256IMG_7258IMG_7259IMG_7260

 

In the end I came up with a ferrule that suited my purposes perfectly.

IMG_8457

In the picture below you can see the steel punch I used for the sharp end of the awl. I drilled a hole in the wooden shaft and cut a slot in the front part intended to end up inside the ferrule. This part was turned slightly bigger than the inside diameter of the ferrule to ensure that the two sides would clamp down on the shaft of the punch when the ferrule is tapped over.

IMG_8459IMG_8460

As you can see the wood was first lubricated with epoxy  and then the ferrule was taped over. The block of wood underneath has a hole drilled into it to let the punch through in order to only move the ferrule into position.

IMG_8461IMG_8462

Here you can see the final product after a tung oil treatment.

IMG_8463IMG_8464IMG_8466IMG_8468

Thanks for commenting on Je ne sais quoi Woodworking