Braaivleis borde

7/2/2014 – I laminated this board using Ystehout (wide strips), Kershout (dark strips), and Witpeer (edges) back in the latter stages of 2012. It then sat in the shop until the end of 2013 before I had the gusto to turn it into something useful. We were getting ready for our Desember holidays, so I decided that it should become braaivleis borde.

IMG_8660IMG_8661

I first cleaned up the long edges with my shop made jointer to ensure that the router would glide smoothly. The pictures also show how my shop made Legvise and sliding deadman function in tandem.

IMG_8662IMG_8663IMG_8664

 

I decided to keep the board intact for for the routing of the grooves meant to catch liquids.

IMG_8665IMG_8666

Then I chopped it up into the individual boards and routed the rest of the grooves.

IMG_8667IMG_8668

Here you can see how my assembly table assists with holding the plates while I route the grooves at either end of the board meant to act as a grip for picking it up.

IMG_8669IMG_8671IMG_8670

The plates were finished off by means of a few coats of liquid paraffin.

IMG_8680IMG_8681

Stanley no. 78 Rehabilitation

4/2/2014 – I bought this old Stanley #78 rabbet plane at an antiques auctions during the December holidays in Groot Brak Rivier. As you can see it was in a pretty bad state. The parallel guide and the lever cap were missing, but the depth stop and the nicker survived.

IMG_9038IMG_9039

It had one bade that was held in place by a washer as you can see.

IMG_9040

Here you can see the depth stop and nicker.

IMG_9041IMG_9042IMG_9043

 

Since I struggled for a day with paint remover and wire brushes on a handheld drill to remove the japanning from the 2 cast iron fore planes I restored recently, a friend told me of a engineering shop that does bead blasting. The idea seems to be that these beads only removes paint and rust but no metal. So I rang Kenney at the Prop Shop who quickly explained what they do. Within 3 days I received a #78 looking like this ….

IMG_9613IMG_9614

 

I could not believe my eyes and thought they decided to plate it with something or other, so I rang Kenney. He assured me that it was only bead blasted and on closer inspection I realised that he was correct. As soon as I arrived home I proceeded to stick masking tape on all the areas that needs to stay paint free.

IMG_9615IMG_9616IMG_9617

 

Then I applied a coat of rust converter.

IMG_9618IMG_9619IMG_9620

 

10/2/2014 – Next came a coat of a rust resistant undercoat …

IMG_9623IMG_9624

 

… and three layers of high gloss truck enamel paint.

IMG_9637IMG_9638

IMG_9865IMG_9866

 

24/2/2014 – Seeing that the plane lost it’s lever cap, I fashioned one out of brass to give it that Lie-Nielsen look.

IMG_9898IMG_9899IMG_9900IMG_9901

 

17/3/2014 – Speaking of the devil, at about this time the Lie-Nielsen replacement blade arrived with a set of bevel-egde chisels.

IMG_9975IMG_9977

As you can see the news blade is almost an exact replica of the original except that it is quite a bit thicker. This has the added benefit that it closes up the throat.

IMG_9978IMG_9980IMG_9979

 

New blade and lever cap in position.

IMG_9981

 

31/3/2014

I started cleaning up the thread were the MIA fence guide should screw in.

IMG_0055IMG_0056IMG_0057

I then fashioned a new guide out of brass.

IMG_0058IMG_0059IMG_0060IMG_0062

The depth guide received the same treatment as the plane …

IMG_0061

22/4/2014

… and fitted to the plane.

IMG_0225IMG_0226

 

19/5/2014

During the past weekend I finally fashioned this Dolce&Gabbana-esque fence as I needed it to do some hand-cut mouldings. I might work on it’s appearance a bit more in future and possibly add a knob to the side that screws onto the end of the guide. Watch this space.

IMG_0919IMG_0920IMG_0928IMG_0929IMG_0930

 

A few examples of the mouldings.

IMG_0932IMG_0933IMG_0927