Roubo sharpening bench – part 4

13/7/2015

It has been quite some time since I’ve had the opportunity to play in the shop. It felt very good to get into that zone again to progress this project. In the pictures you can see how I used the actual parts to mark out where the mortises should go in the legs.

IMG_4755IMG_4756

This picture shows one of the two batons (a Schwarzism) used to make the placement of the stretchers repeatable and in the exact same position relative to the apron.

IMG_4757

Here I traced the tenons onto the legs and then used that to locate the mortises.

IMG_4758IMG_4759IMG_4760

As so …

IMG_4761IMG_4763IMG_4765

I used my shop made saw benches in order to have a comfortable hight at which to drill out the waste with two different bits and braces. The larger diameter centre bit (Marples) was used with a 12″ sweep Stanley no. 923 and the smaller diameter spiral bit (Irwin) with a 10″ sweep Stanley no. 923.

IMG_4766IMG_4767IMG_4768IMG_4769IMG_4777IMG_4773IMG_4771IMG_4772IMG_4778

IMG_4779

At this stage I moved on to start preparing the three massive chunks of wood that will become the top. Here you can see what they looked like before any TLC. They all had lots of nails imbedded all over the place

IMG_4789IMG_4790IMG_4791IMG_4792IMG_4794IMG_4795

Then I flicked back to the mortises in the legs and took to it with a range of chisels.

IMG_4774IMG_4775IMG_4776

After the above picture was taken I started the careful chopping until the aprons fitted as seen below.

IMG_4784IMG_4785IMG_4786IMG_4787

Hopefully I’ll have more shop time this weekend to attack those gigantic boards for the top with a range of hand planes.

 

Thanks for commenting on Je ne sais quoi Woodworking