My 18th Century Workbench in progress 27

9/2/2015

On Friday afternoon I finally fitted the planing stops. It must be at least 3 months since the Ysterhout scraps were laminated. During the coarse of these months, I had several different ideas as to how the planing stops should be kept in place. In the end I simply went with a very tight friction fit. In other words, you take a mallet and bliksem (colloquial Afrikaans meaning many things, depending on the context, in this particular case ‘clobber’ comes to mind) them in and out of their little nest. So far it works like a charm, but I will report on how it turns out in the long run.

I decided to place the planing stops in front of the leg vise, rather than behind it as seen in most traditional benches. This shortens the bench surface available for planing, but also means that most of the planing can be done without having to lean over the leg vise. For longer boards I will eventually have a stop at the very end of the bench as well.

IMG_3113IMG_3114IMG_3115IMG_3116IMG_3117IMG_3118IMG_3119IMG_3120IMG_3122IMG_3123IMG_3124IMG_3126IMG_3127IMG_3131IMG_3132IMG_3133

During the course of last week, I moved all my bench planes to their new address. You will notice that some of them have leather sleeping bags to stop them from collecting excessive woodworking debris. I am slowly stitching these by hand during weekends away from the shop.

IMG_3143IMG_3135IMG_3137IMG_3138IMG_3140IMG_3141

The idea all along was to fit a traditional crochet to operate in tandem with the leg vise, but last week I saw this idea on another blog (unfortunately I can not remember which). I simply drilled four x 3/4″ holes in the side of the top beyond the leg vise. A simple Assegaai dog can now be used in the appropriate hole as a stop.

IMG_3167IMG_3168IMG_3169IMG_3170

This weekend was actually the first opportunity to use my new bench properly. In the pictures below you can see how it assisted in an array of different ways to do bread-and-butter type operations. I am working on a sliding deadman for each side of the bench.

IMG_3145IMG_3171IMG_3172IMG_3173IMG_3174IMG_3175IMG_3176IMG_3177IMG_3178IMG_3179IMG_3180IMG_3181IMG_3182IMG_3183IMG_3184IMG_3185IMG_3186IMG_3187IMG_3188

 

IMG_3197IMG_3198IMG_3199IMG_3200IMG_3201IMG_3218IMG_3220IMG_3221IMG_3222

I wrote a separate post on this shop made beader, which you should find in the recent posts section. I added the beads to hide the laminated nature of the stock that makes up the deadman.

IMG_3223IMG_3224IMG_3225IMG_3226IMG_3228IMG_3229IMG_3231

Thanks for commenting on Je ne sais quoi Woodworking