My 18th Century Workbench in progress 25

November 2014

My final job towards finishing my bench for 2014 was to start building the twin screw vise jaw. I managed to prepare the two beech boards (pictured) by hand a month or so earlier. Thus it had quite some time to settle. Lie-Nielsen provide a very detailed pdf document on how to build the jaw that goes with their hardware. It took some work with the router, a glue-up and Bob’s your Uncle!

IMG_2689IMG_2690IMG_2691IMG_2692IMG_2693IMG_2694IMG_2695IMG_2696IMG_2697IMG_2698IMG_2699IMG_2700IMG_2701

19/1/2015

I decided to take a few pictures to document the state of the bench prior to any work done for 2015.

IMG_2943IMG_2944IMG_2945IMG_2946IMG_2947IMG_2948IMG_2949IMG_2950

2015 started off with some very tricky fitting work in order to get the twin screw vise fitted to the bench. The main reason for this is that I decided to drill holes in my 4″ bench top to accommodate the 2 ACME threaded rods, rather than to cut 2″ deep dados.

The Witpeer breadboard end had to be sawn off flush with the edge of the top before I could even start to fit the vise.

IMG_2999IMG_2998IMG_3003IMG_3004IMG_3005IMG_3006IMG_3007

I did not take too many photos (during installation) as I was too busy swearing and struggling, but here are some pictures of the end result.

IMG_3008IMG_3009IMG_3010IMG_3011IMG_3012IMG_3013

26/1/2015

This weekend I focused on getting the end vise finished.

IMG_3016IMG_3017IMG_3020IMG_3021IMG_3022IMG_3024IMG_3077IMG_3078IMG_3025IMG_3026IMG_3027IMG_3028

Then I made the two handles for the other two vises, using Assegaai and Beech.

IMG_3029IMG_3030IMG_3031IMG_3032IMG_3033IMG_3043IMG_3050IMG_3051IMG_3052IMG_3053

Here are my first shop made Assegaai bench dogs in action.

IMG_3059IMG_3058IMG_3054IMG_3055IMG_3057IMG_3061IMG_3060

Thanks for commenting on Je ne sais quoi Woodworking