My 18th Century Workbench in progress 21

6/10/2014

I really do hope that this will be the last post that does not include a picture of the assembled bench. I am starting to get a bit worried that I might not be able to get it assembled before the major changes in humidity. To give you an idea, the ambient humidity in my shop change from around 25-30% in winter to 75-80% during the rainy season.

Here you can see how I fitted the legvise hardware to the leg that will play host to the mentioned vise.

IMG_2237IMG_2260IMG_2261IMG_2262IMG_2263IMG_2264IMG_2267IMG_2265IMG_2266

The next task was to do some of the preparation work to eventually fit the breadboard-end. The rest of this process can only be done once the bench is assembled for the (hopefully) final dry run.

IMG_2259IMG_2251IMG_2252IMG_2253IMG_2254IMG_2255IMG_2256IMG_2257IMG_2258

This piece of Ysterhout was processed as pictured to become the planing stops. You can also see how I marked out and chopped the holes in the top to accommodate them. My cousin, a Urologist from Cape Town, did the final tidying up of the two orifices. He seems to have a particular talent when it comes to an orifice.

IMG_2155IMG_2273IMG_2274IMG_2275IMG_2276IMG_2277IMG_2278IMG_2279IMG_2280IMG_2281IMG_2282IMG_2283IMG_2287IMG_2288

While he was perambulating the two orifices, I started fitting the long stretchers to their legs.

IMG_2295IMG_2296IMG_2297IMG_2298IMG_2299IMG_2304IMG_2305

Here I just finished excavations for the end vise to be fitted.

IMG_2300IMG_2301IMG_2302IMG_2306IMG_2307

Thanks for commenting on Je ne sais quoi Woodworking