My 18th Century Workbench in progress 20

15/9/2014

I started off the weekend by using my no 78 Stanley rabbet plane with it’s sexy (yeah right) shop made fence to shape the moulding at the top of the long stretchers. The moulding has three primary functions. It aims to hide the fact that it is a laminated beam of Witpeer. You will find that the two small steps are placed to hide the lamination line on the side of the stretcher.

IMG_2207IMG_2208IMG_2174IMG_2175IMG_2211IMG_2212

The chamfer I am working on here creates a v-shaped surface for the foot of the sliding deadman to slide on and hopefully adds some aesthetic value too.

IMG_2187IMG_2188IMG_2189IMG_2190IMG_2191IMG_2198IMG_2199

Here you can see the array of planes used the create the moulding.

IMG_2235IMG_2203IMG_2201IMG_2200IMG_2202

I then moved on to seating the twin screw vise stand offs. The 30 mm diameter holes meant to accept the ACME threaded rod were already drilled through the top a week or so ago. I used an electric hand drill with a spade bit to remove the bulk of the waste before chopping the rest out with my Lie-Nielsen ½” mortise chisel.

IMG_2182IMG_2183IMG_2185IMG_2193IMG_2192IMG_2194IMG_2197IMG_2205IMG_2206

That got me this far.

IMG_2210IMG_2209

The electric router removed most of the waste for the shoulders (so to speak) of the stand offs. I then used the router plane pictured to dial it in to the exact depth.

IMG_2213IMG_2214IMG_2215IMG_2218IMG_2217IMG_2222

 

IMG_2221IMG_2226

The result.

IMG_2223IMG_2225IMG_2227

 

Next I marked out and drilled the holdfast holes in the legs on the drill press. You will notice that the ¾” holes are relieved to 1″ from the back of the leg.

IMG_2229IMG_2230IMG_2231IMG_2232

IMG_2233

Thanks for commenting on Je ne sais quoi Woodworking