Braaivleis borde

7/2/2014 – I laminated this board using Ystehout (wide strips), Kershout (dark strips), and Witpeer (edges) back in the latter stages of 2012. It then sat in the shop until the end of 2013 before I had the gusto to turn it into something useful. We were getting ready for our Desember holidays, so I decided that it should become braaivleis borde.

IMG_8660IMG_8661

I first cleaned up the long edges with my shop made jointer to ensure that the router would glide smoothly. The pictures also show how my shop made Legvise and sliding deadman function in tandem.

IMG_8662IMG_8663IMG_8664

 

I decided to keep the board intact for for the routing of the grooves meant to catch liquids.

IMG_8665IMG_8666

Then I chopped it up into the individual boards and routed the rest of the grooves.

IMG_8667IMG_8668

Here you can see how my assembly table assists with holding the plates while I route the grooves at either end of the board meant to act as a grip for picking it up.

IMG_8669IMG_8671IMG_8670

The plates were finished off by means of a few coats of liquid paraffin.

IMG_8680IMG_8681

Thanks for commenting on Je ne sais quoi Woodworking